As you may have noticed, Snarky Snippets is now adorned with a new title: Logodaedaly. I wrote earlier that I had intended to "redirect the snark" a little bit and, on further reflection, I find that Snarky Snippets is woefully inadequate for summarizing who I am and what this blog is really about.
Now, being the word nerd that I am, I stumbled across the word "logodaedalus" while helping my mother compose an alliterative list for each of the members in our family. See, I needed something that described me. I'd successfully found something for each of my siblings, as well as my parents, but there seems to be a shortage of "L" words that accurately sum up who I am. "Lovely" was the principal standby, but not my favorite. So I searched for rare "L" words, thinking I could just turn a noun into an adjective if I had to. (Yes, I cared enough about an adjective to search for it, and I do, in fact, know how to convert a noun into an adjective... proof enough -- as if you needed any -- that the title of this blog is growing more and more apropo as we speak.)
And lo and behold! Logodaedalus: "One who is cunning in words; a wordsmith."
Wow.
It was perfect. Beyond perfect, in fact. Considering the fact that, in that exact moment, my brain was parsing the word itself, concluding that logos means "words" and I hastily looked up daedalus to conclude that it was the name of the Greek figure who constructed the Cretan maze and built wings for himself and his son, Icarus. His name quite literally means "the cunning one."
Yeah, I really am that much of a nerd. So it shouldn't surprise you that the title is what it is, right?
Anyway, that's the point: this blog, which aptly reflects my passions of editing and writing, deserves a name that does it justice. Nothing less than an awesome word would do. So here we are: Logodaedaly. Welcome, my dear friends, and enjoy your stay.
1 comment:
So now tell me how to pronounce it!
Nah, I'll look it up.
One of my favorite cool L-words is lackadaisical, but that's NOT you. Except perhaps when you want to be languid. (teehee, did I use the right word?)
Really, logodaedaly is PERFECT!
Post a Comment