Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

04 August 2013

Gratitude

I really am trying to blog more often. The writer in me enjoys this outlet, but I guess I'm too easily distracted to actually follow through with it. Try and try again, I suppose.

Well, my legally-required two-week hiatus from work turned into three weeks (aaaand there goes my car fund. Again.) but I'm back at work now (with a raise!) and I won't have to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to make ends meet. It's a blessing. Sometimes I wish it didn't come at the cost of my third attempt to gather enough money to buy a car, but a blessing all the same.

You know, a lot of times, I get caught up in all the things I wish I had, and I forget to be grateful for what I do have. So I'm taking stock today. Bear with me, and I apologize if this isn't interesting to you. Feel free to let your eyes glaze over if you want. It's not like I can stop you.

My job. Sure, I've complained about the instability and the constant threat of it finally ending and leaving me jobless and even the tedium of it (and if I haven't complained much on here, trust me, I've done it in person), but I'm so grateful that I have it. Despite all of the uncertainty, what was supposed to be a three-month job has turned into almost a year and a half, and I'm not being kicked out yet. Plus, I get to be working for the Church, my Church, the Church that has defined my life so profoundly that I can't separate my church life from my personal life. My religion has always been a part of who I am, and it's so rewarding to be giving back to it. Working on the scriptures has been, and probably always will be, one of the highest points of my professional life, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The temple. My year mark for receiving my endowment is in a week. Despite all the ups and downs, this has been one of the best years of my life. There is tremendous strength in finding and experiencing peace, and there is no place more peaceful than the temple.

My roommate. We have our moments where the tension builds and we get a little snippy (it's part of living together, as anyone who's ever lived with anyone can tell you), but when all is said and done, she's still one of my best friends, and I know that she'll love me anyway.

My family. I love that I can call my parents any time of day or night and they will stop what they're doing to talk to me. I'm also grateful that most of the time, they don't tell me what to do. They just listen and let me sort it out for myself, though they are always willing to provide counsel and advice if I ask them for it.

Last of all, I'm grateful for my religion. I don't know where I'd be without it. I love the Lord more than any one or any thing else in this world. I don't care that I can't prove that He exists. All I know is that I am infinitely happier believing in Him than I would be if I didn't, and I have seen so many people's lives turned around by their faith in the Lord that it feels natural and obvious to follow their example and find the same kind of happiness that they did.

No comments: