Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

12 November 2013

Thanksvember: Cabin Fever

So why am I thankful for cabin fever?

Why, because I simply love that caged, roaring-to-get-out feeling, of course!

Kidding.

In a way.

I actually do appreciate it, but more because I have it than because I like the feeling itself. More specifically, that it kicked in after only two days.

See, here's the thing about me. I'm an introvert. Surprise! No way! An editor/writer who is introverted?? GET OUT OF TOWN! (Sidenote: I wish you could hear that phrase in Roommate's Scottish grandfather's voice, because it's fantastic.) In addition, I've struggled with mild depression for a few years now. Nothing that's like, "GET LYNNAE TO A DOCTOR!" or anything, but it flares up in the "I'm not going outside no matter what you coax me with" form. So it's not entirely uncommon for me to really want to spend a week or so holed up in my room.

This is usually in its most severe form when I get sick, which prolongs my recovery.

So I got sick this weekend. And I holed up, naturally.

But by the end of the day yesterday, I was desperate to get back to work. I missed it. Which, in and of itself, was a little shocking. In addition, the mindless, time-wasting things I tend to do when I'm in hermit-mode just weren't really all that fun or interesting, and I got tired of them pretty fast.

And you know what? I am so grateful for that. I'm grateful that I enjoy working. I'm grateful that I have discovered things that are more enjoyable to do than waste time on the internet. I'm grateful that, left to my own devices, I won't waste my life away doing nothing. I'm grateful that I like being around people and that I miss them when I'm not with them. I'm grateful that I have natural impulses to do good and fill my time with worthwhile things, because I've often struggled with whether I have those or not.

Luckily, my body cooperated with my desire to get out of hermit-mode, and I'm healthy enough to return to work. Another thing I'm grateful for.

Plus, it relieved my cabin fever. And I'm glad that I don't still have that, because it's a frustrating feeling, even if I'm glad that the urges that produce it exist. :)

No comments: