There's a line in the fourth Harry Potter book that I think applies to my post today. I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but it says something to the effect of "Fleur greeted her parents and walked away, chattering in rapid French." That is so not the line. But that's the gist. Basically, Harry is bewildered and amused by the typically coy Fleur speaking so expansively to her family, and yet he can't understand a word of it.
I feel like a French speaker would think the same thing if they overheard a conversation between me and my mother. We. Are. Chatterboxes.
And it's awesome. I love it.
My mom came out to visit last week to help her mom with some legal and technical stuff, but of course no business obligations could keep my mother from spending a healthy chunk of time with her three oldest children, who all live in Utah.
I got her for both weekends.
Go me.
And I just love talking to her. I love being with her. Man, I just love her. All of her.
Yes. I did just use a How to Train Your Dragon reference. You're welcome.
I love my relationship with my mom. She's my best friend, and it's so easy to talk to her, but at the same time, she is always, always my mother, and that comes with wisdom, perspective, and counsel that I soak up like a sponge. I love that she works hard to understand that her children may have different sensibilities and cultural norms than she did growing up, so she's not constantly nagging at us for not doing things the way she did. My mother is probably the most graceful person I know when it comes to accepting change, including the changes in the world and in her children. She adapts without ever losing who she is, and that is one of the most beautiful things about her.
I'm pretty sure that other people may want to argue with me about this, but I'm convinced that I have the best mom in the world. And I really don't mean that in any generic, trivial way. I'm serious. More than an isolated few people have mentioned that they wish they could have a relationship with their mothers like I have with mine. And I have never, ever been jealous of anyone else's relationships with their mothers, because mine equals or surpasses the best of them. I don't mean this to brag. I am so incredibly blessed to have my mother. I don't deserve her any more than someone else does, but she's mine. Forever.
I will never stop being grateful for that.
Also, Happy Birthday in advance, Mom. I'm half your age for the next year. That feels special, somehow. :)

1 comment:
thank you so much for gesturing at 'all' of me!! you are much loved right back and in multiplitudinally more ways than you sent to me. oxoxox OOOOO
Post a Comment