Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

26 January 2015

A little bit nerdy

Once upon a time, Roommate got an N64 for free from a friend. Neither of us are really gamers. If you had to classify us, we'd be "social gamers," which means we can sit down and enjoy a couple of rounds of MarioKart or Super Smash Bros. with a bunch of friends, but we don't really play much aside from that. She's been playing the Ocarina of Time for two years now, if that gives you any idea. It's a long game, but it's not that long. ;)

Anyway, since N64 is ancient and outdated, games are hard to find, and the popular ones are super expensive. She's been saving up for Super Smash Bros. for almost a year now. Well, I had a Christmas bonus at work and decided to splurge on her Christmas present, so I bought it for her.

It was the perfect present, because she'd really, really wanted it, and it was something that we could do together. Also, it was neither super practical nor completely useless (I swear, finding that magic middle ground in gift-giving is the biggest struggle).

So she opened it and, after tackling me with a rib-breaking hug, she plugged it in and we started playing.

There's something else you need to know about me for this story to make the most sense: I'm not that good at video games. Mostly because I don't play them very often. I'm used to being the worst player in Smash Bros. and MarioKart, and I usually prefer to play with people who aren't overly competitive for that exact reason.

But look at this:



That's me. The wreath. The astonishing number of KOs. The dramatic stance in the background. And I was SO excited that I took a picture because it'll probably never happen again. We also hadn't figured out how to turn off friendly-fire damage, so this feat was slightly more impressive because she was capable of inflicting damage on me (and did, several times). Roommate has since gotten better than me at this game, but I savored my brief, tiny moment of Smash Brothers glory for all it was worth.

I did also beat my brother once, in a viciously competitive, all-out duel. I didn't take a picture though. One was enough.

And that, my friends, is about as gamer-nerdy as I will ever get.

No comments: