So it's a commonly-known fact that I am a nerd. The biggest collection I have on Pinterest is devoted to geeky stuff. And for those who know me well, it's also common knowledge that Tolkien has held a preeminent place in my nerd-world for over half my life now (in fact, it'll officially reach two-thirds of my life this year (Yes, I calculated that---Editor Lynnae simply had to fact-check herself.))
Well, unbeknownst to me (because I'm inattentive, apparently), part of Tolkien-nerd-Lynnae had been starving because I hadn't read the books since I was about 15. I only discovered this because I was marathoning the movies (my at-least-once-a-year tradition), and my little sister kept asking me "Did that happen like that in the books?" and I suddenly realized to my shame and horror that I honestly couldn't remember.
I honestly hadn't thought about it in years, and had been coasting along on my title of Tolkien Aficionado for years. But how could I claim to be a Tolkien geek if I couldn't remember anything that happened in the books? For shame!
So I've been fixing that. I started rereading the books and I'm glad that I love them as much as I did when I was 8. Honestly, I don't know what my problem was. I stopped trying to reread the books because they felt slow, and my attention span wasn't holding long enough for me to make much progress. Maybe it's because I've been reading reference lists, dictionaries, and indexes for work, but this time around, I'm finding The Lord of the Rings anything but dull.
But watch out! I might be an even bigger nerd now that I'm re-armed with the booklore of Tolkien's world.
Incidentally, I've seen the Hobbit five times already.
Yeah, I loved it that much.


2 comments:
Yay for tolkien!!! Love you Lynnae! LOTR fans unite!
Your nerdness is great! Besides, Tolkien is great. Even though I've only read The Hobbit, I adore that book.
Post a Comment