During a lesson I gave in church last Sunday, we talked about creation. Not just creation in the God-created-the-earth sense, but creation that every member of humanity can participate in. We talked about the kinds of things we can create, and the expected answers came up: art, music, beautiful living spaces, masterpieces of culinary art, etc. But one girl raised her hand and said that we can create relationships.
Something about that really resonated with me. I've said this before, and I'll say it again that I believe that nothing in this world can compare to the joy that comes through interacting with people. From forging relationships. Because only people can make our flaws and shortcomings painfully obvious. Only people can see those flaws and still love us anyway. Only people can hang on to a life and a bond when all logical and reasonable evidence dictates that it would be more prudent to let go.
I believe that no relationship is wasted. No matter what happens. The phrase from the hymn, "Each life that touches ours for good" suggests that not all lives touch us for good, but I think that we can glean something good from every relationship we encounter. True, some are rough experiences, and believe me, I've had my share of those, but I can truthfully say that I learned something from every single one.
One life that has touched mine for good is my aunt Amy's. Every day, I'm amazed by her faith, her courage, and her determination to take each day that comes to her with the gratitude we all should have. I was thinking about how we consider each day she has as a gift, because the Lord could take her away at any moment. But isn't that how we all should feel every day, for every person? Life is fragile. For all of us. It could be ripped away from any one of us at any moment. My aunt has advised me to treasure every moment I have and to never miss an opportunity to tell those close to me that I love them. That advice was not meant just for me to follow when I'm on my deathbed. It's meant for right here, right now.
I watch my aunt's deteriorating health and it tears me up to see how much pain she is in. And yet, she is as unfailingly loving and thoughtful as ever. She wants to see people. She wants to visit. She wants to share the time she has left with as many people as she can. What a beautiful legacy to leave behind.
And it will not be in vain. For each of us who've been touched by her will take a piece of her with us wherever we go. My life has been profoundly influenced by her example. For my piece of the legacy, I will carry on her commitment to treasure the small moments. My children (when I have them) will always know that I love them. My friends will be able to call me when they need me. I will not take for granted the small moments of peace I find both in the temple and in the world. Aunt Amy, this is the best gift I can give to you. All my love.
2 comments:
Hi Sweetie,
I keep visiting your blog to see when you write. I was not disappointed in my wait! I love your philosophizing and insights! The Jones Family letter we got is another reminder of how precious life is and our relationships. Love life as you live it! oxoxox
Your aunt is definitely right. If I died, I just couldn't regret my life because I know my family knows that I love them. I tell them frequently, and I hope I show them just as often.
I love you, Lynnae. I'm sure that you will live up to your aunt's example.
Post a Comment