Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

09 July 2010

Welcome Baby Mac

We got a brand new Mac at work yesterday. And it's pretty awesome, not going to lie. The designers who work with me were so excited that they organized a "welcome to the office!" party for it. I certainly appreciated the excuse to take a break from staring at scripts all day, and the food was delish. Not to mention, I definitely enjoyed seeing them get so excited over it, but at the same time, I feel a little like shaking my head.

Granted, the Mac is sleek, shiny, and noticeably bigger than my tv at home, but I felt a little bit of sympathy for my poor not-so-shiny PC. A lot of Mac users get on this high horse about Mac superiority and how "once you go mac, you never go back." Now that may be true. I wouldn't know. I grew up on a PC and I've used a PC my entire life. I'm completely handicapped when it comes to using Macs. I've picked a few things up here and there, but on the whole, it's better for everyone if I just stay away from them.

I'm of the opinion that both Macs and PCs have valuable characteristics that make them important. If that weren't the case, the PC would have disappeared a long time ago.

So while we posted post-it notes all over the office that said "Welcome, New Mac!!!" (yeah yeah, we didn't exactly have custom streamers made) I felt a little bit sorry for my poor neglected PC. It's true that it's not as big or sleek or snazzy-looking as the new Mac, but it chugs along faithfully for me and suits my needs perfectly. I feel no reason to decrease my loyalty to it in any way. All the bells and whistles on the new computer may be cool, but why trade up when I don't need to?

Come to think of it, that's a philosophy that can be applied broadly to my life. Our society always wants more more more and always better, even when the current things are perfectly functional. Better phones, nicer cars, bigger houses, more important friends. Sometimes it's healthy to take a step back and remember that we don't need all the improvements we think we do. I'd love to have the most sophisticated computer available, the nicest camera, the sleekest car, and greatest connections possible, but I don't really need those. My computer suits my varied needs as a student and as I said in an earlier post, I don't use my camera enough to justify a nicer one.

On the same subject, I'd love to be an awesome writer, musician, artist, etc. Heck, I'd even like to be a perfect editor, but if we were all the best at everything, we'd all be the same and no one would ever be able to learn from anyone else. Our talents are diverse and unique and just as I appreciate Savannah's skill with a camera more because I can't do that, we come to value others because they have something to teach us and because they're not just like us.

So while our office's new Mac is pretty cool, and yes, we did in fact need a new computer -- the shininess was just a perk -- my little PC is not without value. Plus, it does technically have more screen space than the Mac, thanks to the dual monitor. :)

1 comment:

Qait said...

Look! Both hands! Now I can say something intelligent.
If the acetone hasn't gotten to all my brain cells.

I've often wished I could have the time to do so many things and be better/best at everything. But someone reminded me (I think just by a comment in Relief Society) that if we had the time to perfect everything we do and do it all, we'd have no way of showing what our priorities are.
Because we're limited to certain talents and 24 hours a day to develop them (well, minus some sleep time I guess), we show our dedication by being willing to sacrifice that small amount of time to the cause of bettering ourselves and doing the more important things.
Kind of a side note, I guess, but that's always been helpful for me to remember.
I still like to daydream as I drift off to sleep that we have endless billions of dollars and therefore more opportunities to help others and discover what we'd do with life without the burden money can be. ;)

I like our PC. But I have evil plans to someday adopt a Mac. >:) heh heh heh