Now, I'm not saying that I'm one of those crazy women who is on the hunt for a husband, just so she can start "multiplying and replenishing the earth" single-handedly, because that's kind of weird (and creepy).
![]() |
| I blame this face 100% for my ridiculous attachment to my little nephew. He owns my heart completely. |
But what really got me was when we put him to bed. For most of it, I just sat there at the end of his bed as Q read him a book, sang him a song, and helped him say his prayers. It is one of the most heartwarming things in the world to hear that tiny little voice pray to his Heavenly Father. As she sang to him, I got caught up in this mental time warp between reality and all those years ago when my mom used to pile me, Brian, and Jess on her lap and rock us to sleep singing "I Wonder When He Comes Again." Then Ender looked at me and said, "Lynnae needs a hug!" So I got up and bent over him to give him a hug and a kiss, while his little lips murmured "Love you" in my ear.
Just before we walked out of the room, Ender suddenly cried out in panic, "Mommy, I don't want to go to the dentist!!!" We'd been talking about it earlier, meaning that he'd be going to the dentist in a couple of weeks to get his teeth checked, but he thought we'd be going when he woke up in the morning. The terror in his voice about ripped my heartstrings to shreds. But all it took was his mother whispering soothingly to him to reassure him enough that he could lay quietly and go to sleep.
So many reasons I want to be a mom. Sure, there are the temper tantrums and potty training messes (and I've helped Qait with some of those) and little-boy-fascinations with dirt and mud, but, even in my limited experience, those quiet love yous and bedtime prayers and stories more than make up for the messes and tantrums.
I haven't always been good with kids. I babysat very rarely (and usually only older kids: ages 8-12) as a teenager. Sometimes I've been afraid that my maternal instincts might be underdeveloped or nonexistent, but when I look at Ender, something stirs, and I know that what I feel about my nephew will be a hundred times stronger for my own children.
I just can't wait to meet them. :)

1 comment:
If only I had both hands to type with right now!
Lynnae, you will be one of the world's best mothers, definitely counted among the many I admire.
It's a fact.
Post a Comment