Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

08 September 2011

Absent but Happy!

Yeah, so I promised a bunch of people that I would tell them about my first day at the Ensign... and now it's my third day. No one has heard anything from me about how it's going, because I'm bad at updating my blog. Scratch that, I haven't been able to update my blog.

I've been so. stinking. tired.

My poor father called me on the first night to see how work was, but I was crawling into bed and my brain had already shut off (at 8:00 at night, no less) so he didn't get much information. And even though I tried to tell him I loved it, the exhaustion probably sucked all my enthusiasm right out of the words.

Anyway, it's been really hard to adapt to the new schedule: up around 5:45, shower, makeup, make lunch, out the door by 7:00. My body just doesn't work that way. I'm a night owl. Always have been. All through college, I was smart (or stupid) enough to take later classes so that I could sleep in.

Not to mention that I have the hardest time falling asleep because my idiotic clock has THE LOUDEST ticking noise I've ever heard. It's annoying even when I'm fully awake.

Plus, working at the Ensign is such a spiritual high, and there's so much to do and learn, that it's completely mentally exhausting. Totally exciting, but exhausting.

And that's the long reason why I didn't update anyone about my first day. That, and the first day was, technically speaking, kind of boring. It was almost all orientation stuff, which would be completely irrelevant to anyone but me, and even I was (shh!) a little bit bored sometimes.

That being said, I'm completely in love with my new job! On the morning of the second day, I found a stack of proofs plopped on my desk, along with some early-stage manuscripts to edit. Ah! Nerd heaven! This is what I went to four years of college for! Since then, I've been briefed on the entire publishing process, given a chance to brainstorm ideas for the Small and Simple Things section of the Ensign, and prepped for my part in the pre-Conference editing that we'll be doing.

I feel like I've been working here for months. Which is weird, but I've clicked so well with all of the staff members that it really does feel like I've known them for a long time. As a result, I keep catching myself feeling guilty that I don't know everything yet, and then realize that, Duh, Lynnae, you've only been here for three days.

Oh man, but I could work here forever! It's amazing!

Anyway, that's an update. Longer than I'd planned, but there you have it. More to come. Also, I might start a "Gee Whiz Files" series with all the random-but-cool stuff about my life on Temple Square. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Marcy Jackson said...

I am SO happy that you are in nerd heaven!! I will be coming to visit right at the end of Oct so hopefully you will not be buried under the Nov Conference issue!! I will dig you out of the talks to find you!

Know that we are praying for you every day and love that you are in love with your life and job!!

Qait said...

I am SOOOO happy for you!!!!
YAAAAY!!!