Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

09 September 2011

Gee Whiz Files: Jeeps

I know what you're thinking: what on earth do Jeeps have to do with working at the Ensign?

Well, since it's not published yet, I can't provide details on it (or anything for that matter), but let's just say I had to fact-check that there were no Intellectual Property violations on the word jeep. The Church is pretty careful about such things.

Anyway, here's the fun fact for all you Jeep-lovers out there: when you're talking about the WWII army vehicles, you don't capitalize it. It's just a normal noun. The registered-trademark-you-use-it-right-or-we'll-sue-you Jeep only applies to the civilian vehicle manufacturer. Now granted, current army vehicles are probably supplied by said manufacturer, so today's army vehicles would be Jeeps, not jeeps, but if you're talking about WWII-era jeeps, it's babycase letters all the way.

And yes, I just made up the word "babycase." Not sure why I never have before, because my brain always stalls momentarily on what to call non-uppercase letters, and I wasn't patient enough to figure it out this time.

(Relax, I know they're called lower case letters.)

Just a disclaimer: most of these Gee Whiz Files will have some connection to editing. If you are bored out of your mind by such things, I have no clue why you're reading my blog in the first place. But feel free to skip these posts if you want to. I won't be offended. Let's face it, I won't even be able to tell if you did or not.

2 comments:

Flamel said...

Ok, first, I loved this post. Even though I'm not much into editing. Second, I never noticed the prompt above ("All the blessings of the grammar gods upon you for commenting! :)"), but I also love that.

Qait said...

cool!