Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

16 October 2011

Little Mercies

The Lord loves me. Once upon a time (Friday) I wrote a blog post about feeling not-so-happy and wanting to do something about it. All of a sudden, the next three days are filled with people who love me and messages that inspire me.

Most of it happened today. I was sitting in sacrament meeting, thinking about what the sacrament is and what it means to me, and this quote from Anne of Green Gables popped into my head: "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." When we take the sacrament, we renew our covenants with the Lord. It struck me as the perfect opportunity to step away from my feelings of doubt and inadequacy and start over fresh.

So what if I'd slacked off (and I promise, I didn't turn into some reprobate who didn't do anything church-related... I just slipped into going through the motions without getting anything meaningful out of it) or allowed myself to spend too much time on meaningless time-wasting activities? Nothing is stopping me from doing better right now.

And that's what I did.

All of a sudden, all the good things were easier to recognize for what they were. The amazing lessons in Sunday School and Relief Society, the text from my roommate planning a sleepover this weekend, seeing some of my new friends multiple times in the day, going to an incredible fireside by Alex Boye, meeting an attractive new guy, talking to my family, etc.

I would say that it felt like all these good things started happening at once, but a lot of them, especially my friendships, were already there. I just didn't see them for the blessings that they are.

I'm so grateful for tender mercies.

No comments: