Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

03 October 2011

Runaround

So some of you are probably curious just how much I knew about conference beforehand. The short answer: most of it. Not every intern saw every talk, but I also was in charge of compiling a topic list for the conference photographers, which meant that I went through every talk and at least knew the outline/major theme of each one. So yes, I knew most of it.

Except the temple announcements. I had a friend text me right after they announced the new temples to ask me if I'd known about them already. Nope. They're sneaky that way. I'd read President Monson's address with one of the other interns and as we were reading, we suddenly noticed a few too many employees lingering "casually" near our cubicle. I raised an eyebrow but kept reading. Then we got to the line: "We are pleased to announce the following new temples..."

Too many sets of ears perked up.

Down to the next paragraph.

"[Text to come]."

"More details will be provided on these temples as we obtain site and other necessary approvals."

Huh. Well shucks, we're building invisible, nameless temples now? Answer: no. But apparently even the Ensign doesn't need to know which temples they're going to announce until they actually announce them.

So I was just as surprised (and a little giddy) as everyone else about the temples. Especially the Provo Templenacle. That is just stupendous. Granted, I've already moved away, but still. I was there for four years. I know how ridiculously busy Provo Temple is. The faithful temple workers and temple-goers in that area have certainly earned the blessing of having a second temple to help them do their work more efficiently.

As for the rest of conference, I might have annoyed a few people by going, "Ooh! It's this person! Pay attention---this talk is amazing." Especially considering I probably did that for almost every talk. And it was fun to talk to Qait's husband about the priesthood session from an in-the-know perspective.

I promise, I'm not on some kind of "knowledge is power, muahaha" trip. It has just been an incredible experience to be a part of conference for much longer than just the 10 hours it runs over Saturday and Sunday.

Today is errand-day. I have been running like mad all over the place, photocopying talks, dropping them off with the secretaries, going back and picking them up when they're done. Good thing I wore comfortable shoes. And that I dressed up a little more than normal. No reliving my "I'm underdressed" mental anxiety attack from my run-in with Elder Perry. Nosiree.

I actually crossed paths with Elder Callister on his way out of the CAB (Church Administration Building---the name is too dang long to spell out all the time) and, funnily enough, I was carrying his talk in my hands. The thought crossed my mind to give it to him, but he was surrounded by scampering grandchildren, and I figured it would be less frazzling for our talk-delivery-coordinator if I just made sure his secretary got it.

I definitely find myself appreciating conference a lot more now that I know how much work goes into it. But if I seem a little bit like a zombie when you see me, you can rule out the whole "It's October" thing and just assume it's because I'm exhausted. Long hours, lots of running around. I'll be back to normal eventually. Maybe.

1 comment:

Marcy Jackson said...

So glad you enjoyed all week! I forgot that you were at Boatrights but you do still owe me a call!xooxox