Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

29 February 2012

Big Little Brother

Forgive the ugly bird in the last post. But I felt sort of stupidly, buck-toothed, ugly-faced happy about my gigantic tax returns and needed a picture to match. Because taking an ugly one of myself wasn't an option. Also, I did not have any bills to throw in the air because all of my money is electronic at the moment.

So you got a really ugly-looking emu.

You're welcome.

So... Leap Day.

Try as I might, I really can't figure out how to celebrate it. Is it bad that I know exactly how to celebrate Hobbit Day, but not Leap Day? I even know how to celebrate Groundhog Day. The only thing I can think of is to briefly cheer that my younger brother is 16 and not 4 this year, since he was a mere 28ish hours away from being being born on the 29th.

Oh yeah, my stud-muffin brother is sixteen now. He's been breaking hearts for a few years, but now he can actually date those hearts before breaking them.

I kid. He's not a heartless player. But I have received an endless amount of entertainment from going home to visit and watching all the little 12 to 15-year-old girls swooning over him. I was that age once. I know what they're thinking. And it's hilarious. It's also extremely satisfying. I like knowing that girls think my brothers are cute. They'd darn well better, if they know what's good for them.

And Ben has a lot more going for him than just his looks (and he is the best looking one in our family---in my opinion, anyway (Dad, don't take it personally, okay?)). He's been able to carry a tune and hit every note pitch-perfect since he was a little guy who sang on the toilet while Brian and I laughed on the other side of the door. Sorry, that may be a little embarrassing for him, but he'd better get used to it. I may or may not be saving more of that story to tell his wife someday. Besides, it's in my Big Sister Contract to say at least one embarrassing thing about my little brother. Back on topic: He really does have an amazing voice, and it sounds even better now that it's dropped. He's also a champion snuggler, and treats me wonderfully, despite his very big "cool" factor.

He also puts High School Lynnae to shame when it comes to his grasp of the gospel. Every time I go to say goodnight when I'm visiting home, I always walk in on him saying his prayers or reading his scriptures. There was one night, after I'd come home to de-stress from a very difficult time at BYU, that I just stood in the doorway to his room and soaked up the sight of him on his knees, so grateful that he was such a good example.

I used to read about Nephi and Laman and Lemuel and worry that I had too much in common with Nephi's resentful older brothers, because the idea of one of my younger siblings ruling over me was just as repellent to me as it was to them. But seeing Ben on his knees like that, night after night, I've come to realize that I would be honored to allow my brothers to counsel and guide me. Brian already has. Ben probably will someday.

I often brag about how I have the best parents in the world. And it's true. But I also have the best brothers in the world (and sister, too). Both Ben and Brian have become more protective of me as they've outgrown me, and I often catch myself slipping and calling Brian my "big" brother, even though he's three years younger. When I was younger, I dreamed of having a big brother to take care of me, never realizing that my little brothers would grow into that role and happily fill those shoes. Thanks, Ben, for being my big little brother. You're awesome, and I'm the luckiest sister in the world.

2 comments:

Marcy Jackson said...

Wana guess who cried and who didn't? I sent him the link, reminded him about 5 times and almost logged on for him (game time), but he did read your post. Maybe now he will remember how to get there!

They are only amazing because they have a simply amazing older sister to mark the path and lead the way!

Qait said...

Brotherly love hits one of the softest spots in my heart.
Your brothers are incredible.