Actually, this is very very far from an "uh oh" moment. On the contrary, it's probably one of the most exciting/stressful things I've dealt with in a long time.
Last night while I was in class, I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. I couldn't answer it (obviously), so I let it go to voicemail and checked it as soon as I could. It was a call from the recruiting representative at Church Magazines. She wanted my email address for "additional information" since I hadn't put it on my resume.
Now, my first thought was "oh crap!" because, let's be honest, leaving off such crucial contact information is kind of a big misstep to make in the professional world. Most people would use that as grounds for dismissing the application and moving on to someone else. Second of all, I hadn't changed my voicemail greeting message to make it more professional. While it's not one of those cutesy sing-songy greetings right now, it's not all that professional, either, and she'd specifically mentioned voicemail greetings as something to be professional about in the information meeting a couple of weeks ago. So that was two strikes against me.
My second thought was, "wait a minute, she called me to ask about my email address. Which means she cared enough to want to make sure I got it to her!" Which means that, as easy as it might have been to dismiss my application because they couldn't contact me in the usual way, they liked it enough to hunt me down and get my email from me so they could.
So now, I'm frantically scrambling my portfolio together because, yes, that's what they wanted. They wanted to see my editing and writing samples. So I made it into the second round of application-weeding! AHHHHHHH! :D
Trust me, I'm trying so hard not to get excited about this. It could all still end up in me not getting the job, but at the very least, I'm glad to have made it this far. I really am super stoked about this internship.
2 comments:
That's awesome!
WOOHOO!!! I'll try not to get too excited, too.
Post a Comment