Greg and I were discussing our favorite fashion blogger and her fashion-blogger-cohorts today and how, in an attempt to sound more refined, one of them always says that she picked up an item of clothing at an "estate sale," which, as far as we know, is really just code for YARD sale. She was just trying to make it sound more fancy than it is, and it kind of works, because "estate" does sound fancier than "yard."
But stop and think about this for a second.
What is an estate sale? It is an actual kind of sale. Our dear friend Wikipedia says: "An estate sale or estate liquidation is a type of garage sale, yard sale or auction to dispose of a substantial portion of the materials owned by a person who is recently deceased."
And maybe I'm just used to looking for things like that, but the first thing that crossed my mind when Greg said "estate sale" was, "You mean those auctions for dead people's stuff??" And it obviously occurred to him, too, since he brought it up and asked me about it.
So maybe the "refined" attempt isn't really working so well. How many other people think the same thing when they read her blog?
I mean, maybe she's using it correctly. I wouldn't know for sure. But if she is, that seems a little creepy, don't you think? I mean, who searches out auctions of a dead person's stuff on a routine basis? Well, except for Kirk from Gilmore Girls, but I think that only serves to strengthen my point that it's creepy.
Moral of the story: if you want to sound "more refined" than you are, check to make sure you know what you're talking about.
1 comment:
HA! You caught her!
Send me a link to her blog-- I want to show Michael and laugh with him.
And possibly steal some of the better fashion ideas.
Post a Comment