I have decided. I am firmly resolute in my assertion that Qait is one of the best cures in the world for almost any negative feeling I might ever encounter. In light of my not-so-perfect (*cough* understatement *cough*) day yesterday, I called up my best friend at an hour that might be considered inappropriately late given that she has a two-year-old. But she was more than willing to let me come over anyway.
Whether she's clairvoyant, or I'm just surprisingly easy to read, she knew I needed her, and so last night was all about making things better. But see, the thing about my best friend is that she doesn't even have to consciously try. Just sticking us in the same room together is all the effort needed. We talked for hours, played various games (all of which, thanks to a surprising reversal of fortunes, I creamed her at -- you know, maybe she was trying to make me feel better, and she was letting me win...) and ran through just about every accent -- real or made up -- that you could possibly imagine. All while her ever-so-patient husband sat and composed a musical masterpiece on the computer next to us.
This morning was an adventure in cooking as we tested our culinary skills against the enigmatically gourmet-sounding Eggs Benedict. You know, like in Runaway Bride? How she says that she hates all other kinds of eggs except eggs benedict. (Yes, that came up -- frequently -- throughout the morning as we cooked).
My opinion: Julia Roberts' character is crazy. We succeeded at making eggs benedict and it just tasted so... eggy.
Hold the snarky rebuttals about how eggs are supposed to taste like eggs, please.
The principal problem is that the hollandaise sauce that you dribble over the poached-egg-on-ham-on-english-muffin is made up of EGG YOLK. And butter. Lots and lots of butter. Which I normally like. But the problem is that it's an egg sauce. Over eggs. Does that sound redundant to anyone else?
The sauce would be perfectly acceptable, delicious even, over fish (mmm). But over egg it's just a little too much. However, like the good cooks we are, (again, hold the snark, please) we ate our meal and then watched Ender smear it all over his face while we cleaned up the dishes.
Moral of the story: eggs benedict is definitely not worth the effort of cooking it, but it was fun anyway, and also, I benefited immensely from the mood-lift Qait automatically knows how to perform.
1 comment:
Aww, gee, Lynnae, what a welcome warm fuzzy you are. :) Thanks!
I was so trying to win! But you know that even in the best of times my brain likes to do other things when I'm trying to make it focus.
Yes, Eggs Benedict was a disappointment. Any time I watch that movie from now on, I'm sure I'll recall the egginess (muh) and realize how stupid that whole character thing is.
If you don't like most eggs, why ever would you like a very very eggy dish such as Eggs Benedict? The tard.
I had so much fun with you, Lynnae. I'm glad I could be some comfort and upliftness for you, because you were for me! It felt so good to laugh so much. It was even fun to lose Mancala. Michael won't play it with me because I win every time. :)
I thought of you a lot today. I think of you every time I'm in Provo (more, too, but always when I'm there). I pass your street and think "Yay! Lynnae! I wonder if I could stop by..." and time denies me the privilege. Oh well. We'll make time work for us.
Not the 9th, but sometime, we should embark on a new cooking adventure (try to think of something that's supposed to be delicious so we can critique it with all the snarkisms we want).
That was long! But that's because I feel so grateful to you. You're such the best friend. *hugs*
Post a Comment