Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

07 September 2010

My Body Hates Me

It's true! I suppose perhaps that I deserve it. I have been harder on my body this weekend than I normally am. I took it tubing (and, crazy me, I decided to be cool like Brenton and stand up on the tube, which produces an effect on your legs very akin to wakeboarding or skiing, i.e., it hurts like heck the next day). Fortunately, that means I was spared the condition of the rest of the ward, who all had aching arms and shoulders, but aches in the legs tend to be more noticeable. For example, you tend to wobble/waddle when you walk. Very amusing to watch, I'm sure.

So yeah. My legs have been grumbling at me for a few days, occasionally emitting a high pitched pain spike when I roll over on them in bed, stand up, sit down, use stairs, run, walk, and pretty much use them at all. Side note: my friends have been more than a little merciless about exploiting this specific condition.

Kunkee was making fun of me and Savannah the other night and taunted us with a "come and get me, then" line. Stupidly, I took the bait and jumped up to chase after him. I got about two steps before my legs were like "Haha, yeah right. We're not taking you anywhere." THUD. I'm on the floor and not entirely sure how I got there. In front of about five guys, might I add. Thank you, legs. Thank you. Remind me to get my revenge.

Note to self: revenge against your own body never works. It'll always win. My attempted revenge (mixed with a little bit of bribery) was taking my legs for a two-mile stroll to the hot springs (again! :D). They didn't like that. You'd think soaking them in warm mineral water would have counted for something. But I suppose I was still being a little mean to my body. Hiking all over that canyon, sliding down slippery rock formations, and scrambling over rocks might not have been the best way to treat it when it's already sore. So now I have a collection of bruises, a sunburn, and a new set of achy muscles on top of the old set to show for it.

Funny thing was, this weekend was exceptionally awesome. And totally worth all the pain. I guess that's how it goes with me. I don't have fun unless I'm hurting after doing it. (Spelunking, anyone?). I've always been of the opinion that life's not fun if you don't collect a few bumps, bruises, or scars along the way.

And yes, that counts on both a figurative and literal level. I'm in the middle of embracing all the emotional bumps and bruises (no scars this time around) as well as the literal ones. Heck, I've kind of volunteered for some of them, so it's not surprising that I ache sometimes.

I don't regret a single second. Because I'd like to be able to look back at my life and see a life that's been lived, whether that means muscle fatigue for three days, or heartbreak and tears for three weeks. The experiences that cause those conditions have always been worth it. So hate me as much as you want, dear body. You'll thank me later, because you'll be stronger in the long run.

No comments: