Ever since a couple of life-altering events occurred just before the start of the semester, I've been watching my entire life slowly flipping itself upside down and turning in a new direction. It's been a little amusing and a little terrifying at the same time. Fortunately, this time, the inside-out action my life is trying to pull hasn't been as traumatizing as previous times. (*ahem* January 2010, I still hate you for what you did to me).
It just seems that all my neatly arranged plans have stayed arranged neatly enough, but with some major revisions in them. For example, I'm now graduating 6 months earlier than I'd planned. Which means next summer. Which means graduation applications are due this winter. Which means I have way less time to do everything than I thought I did. I finished clearing the path to an August graduation today. I discovered a while ago that I'll have enough credits to graduate, even with dropping some of my intended classes. I can still finish all the necessary coursework to get my B.A. And that really annoying new prerequisite for all my upper level classes? Yeah, totally doesn't apply to seniors. So I've got the green light, against all possible chances, and against everything I'd thought I was going to need. Surprising? Astonishing? Mind-boggling? Resoundingly yes.
Am I terrified? Ohmyholycrapyes. A closer graduation date means that putting off job-hunting isn't really much of an option anymore. I'm looking at getting a new position on campus that will hopefully put me on the map for publishers and people-in-need-of-editors outside of BYU (because the hiring freeze precludes all possibilities of being hired on here), and I'm taking the editing test for that today, so wish me luck. If I do well, I get an interview and hopefully get a chance to advance my career in a big way. If I do poorly, I can still probably dig up the experience, but I'll have to start from square one again, and I don't really want to deal with that setback.
At the same time, I'm stunned by how bright and full of promise my future is. Life is pretty awesome right now, in every aspect. (Thank you, you-whose-name-shall-be-withheld-for-now, for the really adorably awesome method of asking me out on a date. You totally made my morning.)
2 comments:
Sounds really exciting and nerve wracking all at once! Good luck with the job stuff, I hope that goes well! :-)
PS - what's your favorite word? :-P
Cool...you-whose-name-shall-be-withheld-for-now...yay! :D And cool about the school stuff too.
Post a Comment