Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

10 March 2011

Discovery

So I made a discovery today. Way back in September, I applied for a job with BYU Publications and Graphics. I'd really wanted it, and I made it all the way through the application process to the interview, only to be told that they'd decided to go with someone else. I was crushed. Life wasn't easy at that time anyway, and the extra setback was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd called my mom and sobbed on her shoulder about how everything in my life was going wrong. She'd hastily reminded me that the Lord has a habit of making things that seem to be "wrong" actually work in our favor. At the time, I'd had no idea how that could apply to losing out on that job, but I decided to listen to her advice and trust in the Lord.

Well, six months later, I think I can safely say that I understand why I didn't get that job. At least one of the reasons, anyway. While my current job may not be the standard editing job most editors dream of having, it has been a rewarding experience nonetheless. And most of those rewards have happened since I applied for the Publications job. I work with great people, all of whom have become great friends. I have gained some unique skills and exposure to other departments across campus that I might not have encountered otherwise. I've learned that "editing" my attitude makes as much of a difference as my actual editing does in my job.

So the moral of this discovery? Things work out. They may not make sense at the time, but the Lord knows how to use those setbacks to shape us into the people He needs us to be. Considering my current status of uncertainty, this is a lesson I'm clinging to in the hopes of maintaining my sanity.

1 comment:

Qait said...

We will be praying for you (and Michael will fast for you).
I'm so sure that whatever happens will be the right thing for you...but of course, I still hope the "right" thing is that you get that job!!!!