That was the advice I gave my brother today before he went into the MTC. See, we were talking about how death by food was such a lame way to go. Unless you're doing something epic, like trying to eat a live crocodile. I don't even remember how we got onto the topic.
But that's just how my relationship with my brother is. We don't need a reason to be the way we are. We just are.
And yes, my little brother, my wonderful, awesome, talented, genius little brother is officially in the MTC now. We just dropped him off, and, at my mom's orders, I'm blogging about my experience so that she and my dad can feel like they were there. Unfortunately, I've already written the more serious, sentimental version of the experience on Brian's missionary blog so if you want that version, you'll have to go there. These are just a few lighter moments I had with him before he left.
So. While Brian was here for school last semester, he and Michelle had this little bit going where he'd flirt shamelessly with her. Since there's a six-year age difference, it was always a little strange to watch. Well, he asked Michelle to "wait" for him last night. I felt slightly uncomfortable in the wake of the faux melodrama that unfolded. It included a warped rendition of "Will I Wait for You?" from Saturday's Warrior. Just so you know. Discomfort explained.
This morning before we left, he and I may or may not have annoyed Grandpa by finishing off the delicious peanut butter bars (which, incidentally, may have started the topic of death-by-food and eating live crocodiles), but Grandpa couldn't exactly get too mad since, you know, Brian's a missionary and all. And Grandma and Grandpa are too proud of him for being the first grandchild to serve a mission that there's really no chance of them even getting mad at him.
He also had to get one last "little brother" moment in. I'd flopped back down on my mattress (on the floor in the front room) because I was still a little sleepy. My cousin decided to be nice, and threw a blanket over me. "I'm just trying to help," he said, when I gave him a look.
Right on cue, Brian reaches over and grabs the corner of that blanket. "I'm not," he declared as he yanked it right back off, wadded it up, and threw it at my face. Thank you, little brother. I love you too.
Brian also had one more sweet little brother moment too. Walking up to the temple to take pictures, I looped my arm through his and told him was enjoying it while I still could. "That's right," he replied, "because when I get back, I really hope you'll have your husband on your arm." Aw. *squee* Who could ask for a sweeter, more thoughtful little brother? I think he's wanted to do more damage to the crazy guys I've dated than I have. Fortunately, he never has, but it's nice to know that he's thought about it. And that he really wants me to find my happily ever after. Just like I'll be super stoked for his after he comes home.
All in all, I'm glad I got to spend the last two days with my little brother. He's pretty awesome. I'll still be snail mailing him, so it's not like I'm going to be completely out of touch with him for 2 whole years. In fact, I'll be better at writing him than I've ever been in my entire life. He already knows he should feel special, trust me. :)
It might sink in a little bit later, and I might cry, but in truth, I really don't feel inclined to cry at all right now. He's doing the right thing with his life, and how on earth could I ever feel sad about that?? My mom always taught me that we should embrace every phase of life for the promise it holds, and that's exactly what I'm doing.
Plus, Brian's going to be on his mission during 2012, when the world is supposed to end. So he'll be safer than most of us. Assuming of course that the world is going to end in May 2012... between you and me, I have my doubts about that.
So what is there to worry about?
Oh yeah, eating live crocodiles. That's bad. He's not supposed to do that.
3 comments:
All I want to know is if he ever sees or finds a live crocodile in Mexico!
Thanks daughter number one for being me and taking such good care of number two!! (well Brian is number one if you only count the boys! So is your spot in jeopardy?)
:) Very sweet! I love your whole family, you know. LOVE them. Each one, so very much.
Let's see... Brian being on a mission when the world ends.
As we know, it's just the Mayan calendar that claimed the world was ending in 2012, so that means only Mayan territory will end...
WHICH IS WHERE BRIAN WILL BE! BA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!
Post a Comment