Savannah, Michelle, Kristina, my date, and I went to the first color throwing this morning, wading through snow (which turned to mud by the time we finished). But when you cram a couple thousand people onto a hillside, you stop worrying about snow.
This is our before shot. Trust me. The after shots are pretty obvious. By this time, we'd finished this crazy awesome Hindu dance that got us sweating, so we definitely didn't notice the cold anymore. Probably a good thing.
The festivities start with live music, dancing, and, if you know where to find it, more information about the legends behind the festival. And, to keep ourselves amused, we smear each other with chalk.
The handprints on the butts... that was me. What can I say? I'm trouble. ;)
Then, there's a big countdown (and a sudden surge in the number of people attempting to bodysurf... which is inconvenient) and everyone throws whatever chalk they haven't smeared on their comrades into the air. The sky goes dark (well, purpleish brown), the air suddenly becomes saturated with more powder than even a healthy person should probably be allowed to inhale. After several minutes, most of the dust settles and you emerge looking something like this:
| Favorite part about this picture? The guy in the background, joining in our picture. We were less emotive, but that's about how we felt. :) |
| Some of our original smearing still shows, but we were wearing white, if you recall. |
Which is funny, because I did actually manage to look cleaner this year than I did last year. My shirt still looks marginally white.
So I guess that's proof that you can come out of Holifest with salvageable clothing. (Which is good, because even though I bought that pink undershirt to destroy it, I actually kind of like it, so I want to get it clean again). Granted, you'll be sneezing purple boogers for a few days, your hair will turn the shower water purple for at least five minutes, and you may or may not find neon colors under your nails.
But you know what? It's totally worth it! I'm probably not doing a very good job of convincing you, but that's okay. Some people hate being dirty. They don't go. For me, it's a great excuse to get dirty, since my cozy desk job and magazine class don't exactly provide many opportunities for that.
And Holifest is a celebration of springtime (ironic, with the freshly fallen snow on the ground...) which means that it officially marks the beginning of my summer adventures, which will hopefully include hot springs, lava tubes, canyoning, camping, and waterfalls, and, if I'm very very lucky, spelunking.
Oh, and for the record, "fackeltanz" is a German word that basically has to do with torchlit wedding processions for German royals. But we discovered it playing Balderdash and our favorite definition was more along the lines of "maseltov," so the nuance kind of stuck. So throw some imaginary confetti in the air, waggle your fingers and say "fackeltanz!" I promise it will make you feel smiley.
Or maybe that's just me. The word nerd loves new words, and they always make her smile.

1 comment:
Wow! Looks awesome! And you look hot even chalk-covered. ;)
Did you know the MAIN reason I don't like all-over-body-dirtiness-fun like that is because I get paranoid about my contact lenses? Seriously. It's my top concern.
The chalky stuff doesn't sound too great right now, breathingwise (pregnant or not). So even though I wouldn't have gone, I wish I had been with you. :)
This summer, I'm afraid all the wild adventures I'll join you on are swimming and MAYBE camping. But who knows? I just might feel up to something crazy! :D
Post a Comment