Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

01 April 2011

Homemakery

Michelle just recently moved out of our apartment, and we're starting to realize how much that affects our living conditions, since she took a bunch of stuff with her that we didn't know we appreciated. Like the drapes. And the couch pillows (which were a bit tattered and ugly but nonetheless fun to throw at people). And the Kitchenaid. The apartment seems a little emptier now, and we're slowly acquiring things to fill it back up and make it seem as much like a home as possible.

And I'm starting to realize that I'm getting more and more stir crazy for my own space. Don't get me wrong, I love my roommates. But the homemaker side of me has been growing into herself for the last few years and she may be starting to expand into wanting space of her own. It started with the kitchen. I could stand having a mess anywhere but in the kitchen. So I started cleaning every week (and possibly annoying/amusing my roommates in the process). Then it spread to the living room shortly thereafter, because I was determined that the portions of our apartment used for entertaining guests should be neat and presentable as often as possible.

Last semester, I suddenly got a lot better at keeping my room clean. Now, I find myself preoccupied with keeping everything clean, including my bathroom counter space, which, up to this point, has always been my most dismal failure when it comes to tidiness.

It's funny how much I notice now. And no matter how hard I try, nothing is ever quite clean enough.

Add to all of this my burgeoning interior design skills (which seem to be developing in tandem with my layout design skills) and I'm obsessed with things that look beautiful and elegant and clean. I keep daydreaming about decorating my own space. Necessity (and lack of money) prevents me from replacing my perfectly functional -- though mismatched -- bedspread, or buying complementary paintings and pictures to hang in my room. But someday, I'll be able to do that.

But is it weird that I keep thinking about it? I want to buy those matching bathroom towels, toothbrush holders, etc. I want a bedspread that complements the paintings in my room. I want a set of kitchen towels, hot pads, washcloths, and dishes that all look nice and match each other. Or at least, aren't some Frankenstein of plastic, ceramic, and stoneware stacks of color-clashing ickiness.

I'm getting old. Or just mature. Not sure which. :)

1 comment:

Qait said...

And isn't it fun?
I know the feeling of wanting all of that and being ready for it! :D
I'm SO enjoying having my own place...you should come see it, by the way. We've made changes!