I keep learning new stuff, and ironically enough, it doesn't usually happen at school. Well, I do learn at school, but telling everyone else what I'm learning in upper-level English major classes probably won't make a lot of sense. Because my professors just assume (correctly) that we all have 3-4 years of background in the subject matter and plow on ahead to their main point.
So me making the point that Elinor Dashwood is a static character because she's always dynamically changing and adapting to her surroundings is not really going to click with most people who haven't spent the whole last semester in my English Novel class. Some of you might still get it, though.
My point aside, the things I learn that make sense to everyone else are often a little less erudite in their origins. (Sorry, couldn't resist the big word. I promise I don't try to show off, it was just the first word that came to mind.)
Now that I've gotten that preface out of the way, here are some of the things I've learned recently:
Stadium Terrace may be slightly ghetto, and we may love to hate on it, but the apartments are pretty darn big for the price, and we actually have a lawn to look out at, rather than into someone else's window.
My favorite form of decorating is building more bookshelves. I love how a room looks with bookshelves in it.
Closely related to that, I suddenly have this huge urge to buy more books in order to fill more bookshelves. Just because having a large book collection makes me unbelievably happy. Someday I will have a room full of books that belong to me. I want to have shelves and shelves of books that my kids can love to read.
The reason we have allergies in the springtime? It's all those little plants getting sexy and messing with our heads. Special thanks to Rae's grandma for that little jewel of wisdom today.
My roommates have the ability to amuse me when I least expect it. I got a phone call from Savannah that went something like this: "Hey! I just thought I'd call you so that someone knows where I am... I went for a drive and didn't realize how far I'd gone until I saw the sign that said 'Welcome to Wyoming!" WHAAAAT?? She just went for a drive and ends up in Wyoming. The exceptional navigator in me (ha. not to toot my own horn or anything) found that to be the most headscratching situation ever. I still don't get it, even though it was hilarious. Granted, I haven't had a car for the last four years, so maybe I'm just out of touch with the "going for a drive and losing track of time" syndrome.
I really, really, really love being clean. I recently organized my section of the bathroom, which prompted Stephanie to do the same, and now our counter looks beautiful and I sigh with secret delight whenever I walk in the bathroom now. And now, since I've finished most of my urgent projects, I can clean my room again. :)
I really am a nerd. I have 6 Tolkien books to my name, three of which are scholarly works that I am reading or have read.
1 comment:
AHhahah! Wyoming. Awesome. :)
I don't typically find driving the kind of activity that lets me relax into the almost-hypnotic state of letting time pass unnoticed.
That kind of thing happens with doodling, harping and reading.
Driving? I think about driving while I drive. Very consciously.
And I think I prefer it that way...
Post a Comment