Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

06 April 2011

Averaging It Out

This week has been... insanely busy, to say the very least. I keep battling with the notion that I'm a terrible student because I can't seem to find any motivation to work on my two papers that are due for finals. What can I say? They're just... not... fun... I made the discovery recently that I really should have been an English Language major instead of an English major. More linguistics, less literary analysis. Apparently that's my thing. Who knew? But since graduation is less than a semester away, it really isn't an option. I don't even think BYU would let me switch. So, I'm slogging through my last two literature classes and really hoping I make it out alive. I need to pass them to graduate. 

Anyway, while I'm struggling to write papers for my lit classes, I find myself willingly spending hours and hours on my InDesign and magazine publishing classes. Like, hours. I woke up this morning at 9:30 and worked on various pieces of my InDesign portfolio until 5pm. Without stopping. Crazy, right? I had no idea I could do that. 

But I still feel like I'm not doing enough. Probably because my brain is conditioned to think that homework isn't the fun stuff. So when I do enjoy my homework, I still feel like a slacker for not doing the homework I don't enjoy. Blegh. 

On the other hand, I keep discovering how much I love layout and design. Not graphic design. That stuff is a little bit beyond me, though I'm okay at simple tinkering in Photoshop. But I do love layout. I just printed my book project, which Savannah is going to bind for me. Yay! Granted, trying to print the stupid thing was a pain. 

Anyway, I suppose I'll just average it out: if I'm a really excellent student in two classes and a fairly lousy student in the other two classes, it balances out to a pretty good student overall. Right? Think my professors will take that into consideration when they grade me?

Yeah, I wish that, too.

1 comment:

Qait said...

will you explain to me what exactly layout is in the world of design? I just want to know. :)