It's been a long time since I've run up against major conflicts in my social schedule. Academic conflicts happen all the time. But seeing as how I've been keeping my social life to a minimum in an attempt not to fail at school, it never seems to be very eventful. Until this weekend. See, I got asked on this date for tonight. Well, sort of. More specifically, one guy wanted to take my roommate out and I guess to make it a double he convinced his roommate to take someone too. But his roommate was too shy to actually ask me, so the guy that asked Stephanie out on a date also did the asking on behalf of his roommate to get me to go as well. Confusing? It certainly was. Especially since my date was, in fact, standing right there.
Now, to be clear, I have no issues with going on a date with said boy (well, technically, he's unnamed, and will remain so), but I do wish he'd been brave enough to actually do the talking himself. It might have made my decision a lot harder.
Because I'd forgotten up to that point that I'd promised Brian I'd go on the SLC temple trip with his ward, which was also tonight. I also had been unaware that the times overlapped significantly. So when Brian reminded me and pointed out that I'd been included in the reservations, I suddenly found that I had a pressing decision to make. Did I bail on Brian to go on a date with a guy who was too scared to ask me out? (It was earning sympathy/kindness points, since I didn't want to insult him or make him feel rejected). Or did I keep my earlier commitment and go to the temple with my brother's ward?
Well, I chose the temple.
After politely calling my date and telling him of the situation, I offered a rain check to our date in the hopes that perhaps he'll be courageous enough to take advantage of the very clear opening I'm giving him.
In short, the temple trip was awesome. I have no doubts that the date would have been fun (Stephanie said it was), but I had needed to go to the temple. Plus, I can't think of a better way to spend my evening than with my little brother, especially since he's going on his mission soon, and I won't get to do things like this with him for at least two years.
As an added bonus, I also found myself being escorted around by one of my brother's ward friends, who flirted shamelessly with me. Makes a girl feel good. :) Especially since he reminded me a lot of my first boyfriend, which is a relationship that, even in its post-breakup just-friends phase, I've always cherished.
So there were a lot of good things about tonight. The Salt Lake Temple is absolutely stunning on the inside. The food was great. I got quality time with my little brother, who will be getting endowed in 18 days (!!!). Not to mention, being on that trip and eating dinner in the temple cafeteria with all the endowed members in their whites was a huge help in rekindling my excitement about going through the temple this coming August. It brought it back into the realm of the real and attainable. I needed that. My primary focus recently has been on school, which puts a lot of things on the back burner, and I didn't really want temple prep to get back-burnered too much.
So long story short, I made the better choice for me tonight, and I'm glad. It's been a fabulous evening.
Nicely polished off, of course, by a round of Munchkin Bites with Zivko, Stephanie, and Brian. ^_^
3 comments:
Assumption: The possessor of a raincheck has to cash it themselves.
Curious: When a girl asks a guy for a raincheck, the guy is supposed to, or not supposed to, ask her again?
Way to make me antsy for that 17 days to speed by.....I am trying REALLY hard not to make the two of you trunky and homesick....BUT I AM for you guys!!!!!!!! Awesome night in SLC, treasure it!
ps help me when you get home to set up a blog for Brian's mission. Cori did one for Bryson and I want to figure it out and then have it printed into a book when he comes home. :)
Ooh, good idea about the missionary blog! I like it.
Lynnae (whoa, almost spelled you Lynane--see I told you I have to go to bed, stop keeping me awake), I'm so proud of you for choosing to go the temple. I am so excited for when we can go together! :D
...and I zoned out there for a few minutes. Yeah, I'm going to bed.
Post a Comment