As crazy as this sounds, I used to daydream about editing. Please feel free to roll your eyes at me: I don't mind.
Anyway, I once heard editing described as the "pajama job" because most editors are able to work from home (which, incidentally, is one of the reasons I'm so excited about my career: I can be a mom and still do what I love to do at the same time). They have flexible schedules and, as long as they meet deadlines, they're free to work at their own pace.
Anyway, it wasn't long after hearing that description that I conjured up this image of me, several years down the road, sitting down with a piece to edit, curled up in comfy sweats, with a steaming mug of hot cocoa at my side, and gentle music playing in the background. That seems like the perfect life, though I've always expected to have to slog through some dreary desk jobs to join the privileged ranks of freelance editors who can do exactly that.
Not so. Thanks to my awesome boss giving her consent, my coworker and I went to the Bookstore last week to pick up a couple of cans of gourmet hot cocoa after we'd discovered that our office had a cocoa-latte machine.
Today, as I poured myself a mug of cocoa and sat down at my desk to edit a training script, I realized that I am currently living in that ideal picture I always loved to imagine. Everything was just how I pictured it: the music, the cocoa, the comfortably cross-legged sitting position on my chair that reclines just enough. And in that moment, my life felt absolutely perfect.
Well, except for the fact that I couldn't wear the sweat pants. The dress code is a little more restrictive than that. :)

3 comments:
Yay! I love moments like that! Mmmm, makes me want cocoa.
Only, one question. In that photo? Is that really a slab of BUTTER? Tell me it's just weird looking cream...
It does look like a slab of butter... although, weirdly enough, I think that would probably make it taste pretty good if you get the right amount. Everything tastes better with butter. :)
Cream... Butter... Kisses... Hugs... Babies... 21 yr old daughters... Chocolate... My kids... Hubby (but that is strictly classified)
they're all scrumptious!!
Post a Comment