Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

09 November 2010

Blegh

So I have this little condition, inherited from my father, of getting really bad sinus infections, often overnight. So I went to bed last night feeling all accomplished from my super-productive day, thinking about how I was going to do awesome things again today.

Haha. Joke.

I woke up this morning feeling like my head was filled with slime (I know, appetizing mental image, right?) and like my eyelids weighed a million pounds. Blegh. I got up, grabbed some medicine, and then curled up in bed again and I've pretty much been there all day, trying desperately to sleep it off.

Who am I kidding? Trying desperately? Because it's such a trial to have to sleep in my bed under my deliciously heavy blankets all day. Woe is me... ;)

The truth though? I cannot afford to get sick right now. I'm feeling more functional than I was this morning, clearly, but nighttime does funny things to my illnesses sometimes. So here's hoping that my body decides to be kind and get better fast. I have to get back to life. Pronto.

That doesn't mean that I don't have things to feel grateful for. So here's today's list:

  • Heavy blankets. They're pretty much the best things ever. I love that snug, warm feeling.
  • My Alvin and the Chipmunks music. Something about helium-voiced rodents rerendering all of my favorite pop songs just makes me smile, no matter how groggy I feel. 
  • Frozen KitKat bars. They are the best. Period. If you haven't tried them like that, you haven't lived. Okay, so maybe you have. But they're my brand of sick-groggy-tired-person heaven. 
  • The big fluffy snowflakes falling from the sky today, even if they didn't stick around. Also, the bigger, but not so fluffy snowflakes hanging from the ceiling in our front room. As much as I complain about starting Christmas before Thanksgiving is over, I really do love Christmas decorations, no matter when they go up.
  • On that note, our lovely color-matched Christmas tree. It's purrty.
  • Stephanie scared herself silly on the way home from campus, because she thought her shadow was an assailant. I wasn't there, but her walking in and telling me about it was almost as good. It gives a new and very real spin to being scared of your own shadow. ;)
  • My stylish glasses. I can't wear contacts when my eyes are watering, so since I have to wear glasses, I'm just grateful that they're cute and kinda trendy. I don't feel ugly in them, and that's a great blessing when the rest of me is feeling icky and gross from being sick.
  • As You Like It. The Kenneth Branagh version. It's weird, set in Japan, and filled with random sumo wrestlers and wacky cut scenes, but it's still Shakespeare, and that makes me happy. 
  • And finally, that I got sick on a Tuesday, because of all the days of the week, Tuesdays are my lightest days and being confined to bed with a massive sinus infection for a whole day does less damage to my overall life if it happens on Tuesday. I miss out on fewer crucial things.

No comments: