My dad, awesome, spiritual, insightful man that he is, called me up to check on me and see how I was doing. All of the worries came pouring out (for good or bad, I can't lie to my father. Ever.) He listened patiently and then pretty much told me snap out of it. "It doesn't matter that you've gotten bad scores on some of your tests (but Dad...) It doesn't matter if you feel overwhelmed by everything you have to do (but Dad...) It doesn't matter that you're afraid it's too late to save your grades (but Dad...) Just suck it up, let go of all of that, and tell yourself you're going to do awesome things with the rest of your semester. No more buts. No more excuses."
Thanks, Dad. It's all about Mosiah 4:9:
Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.He can turn things around, even when it seems impossible. I've seen it in my life. I've seen in my family's lives.
So, to sum it all up: I can do this!
I took a Music 101 test last week that I should have failed. I studied for four hours, listened to the music samples over and over and OVER again, but when I sat down in the testing center, I swear they all sounded exactly the same to me. I just can't sense patterns in musical composition unless I'm looking at a score or I have something telling me exactly where it is. I guessed on every question. Not even kidding. But I walked out and saw that I'd scored a miraculous 92%. My first thought was "What the...?" but it occurred to me that this was one of those moments where you can see the Lord's tender mercies. He knew I'd tried. I studied so hard. I'd prayed for help, and I got it. Not in the way I'd expected, but it came anyway.
It'll happen again. Maybe not the same way, but even though I've made mistakes before now, I'm not going to be forced to fail as punishment. The Lord can take me as I am right now and turn my situation around into something miraculous, as long as I put in my share of the work. I don't know how this semester will end, or how I'll make it through next semester (trying to get enough hours at work with my schedule next semester... not a pretty picture) but I do know that He'll make it work for my good.
And if He loves me enough to do that for me, He's going to do the same for you, too. No matter what your situation is or what impossible thing you are trying to accomplish. If you fight for it, He's going to back you and help you succeed. So go for whatever impossible dream you have. Suddenly you'll find that nothing is impossible.
1 comment:
:) I LOVE YOU!
Is there any way you can count your blog as the kind of writing you'd submit to magazines???? You know, that senior stuff you're supposedly supposed to be doing?
If you are excruciatingly short on money next semester, I think I should kidnap you more often to be sure you get some really good dinners. ;) And breakfasts. And you know, maybe I'll have more clothes to hand off. Whatever the case, I really, really, really want to help.
I love "impossible" dreams. Because deep down, I believe they aren't impossible. It's such an exciting feeling!
Post a Comment