Want to know the story behind the name? Click here!

25 October 2010

Life and Other Matters

So registration for classes is this week. I know. You're like, "What?" Or maybe everyone else is more on top of things than I am. That's not entirely improbable, since I seem to be in a mad race to keep one foot ahead of the giant monster that is Fear of Failure. It keeps trying its best to overwhelm me, and sometimes it gets a nip on my heels, but I'm holding my own. If this were a race, I think I'd be a champion endurance sprinter at this point. (Running reference in honor of Kristopher -- this is the only race you'll ever see me run, so treasure it.)

Now here's the thing about being a senior: most of your classes only have one section. The Good News: none of my classes conflict with each other. The Bad News: they fill up really fast. Registration started today, but I don't get to register until Wednesday night, thanks to the fact that I'm going to graduate by the skin of my teeth as far as credits are concerned. None of this super-duper-senior-with-loads-of-credits stuff for me. So I'm sitting here, staring at the course catalog, watching the available seats in the classes I need getting nibbled off a little at a time. It's enough to cause a panic attack, which I definitely almost had this morning.

Enter Melissa. She's an old roommate and a great friend. We bonded over Divine Comedy, Robin Hood, and boys being stupid. Even though we no longer live in the same complex, we've stayed in touch, and thanks to a long lunchtime conversation a few weeks back, I happened to find out that she's a grad student now. So, with frantic pleas for help, I emailed her and asked her to hold some of the classes that are looking like they're filling up too quickly. She wrote back a short while after that saying that the classes were held, and she'd be ready to drop them so that I could add them. Hero of the Day award goes to Melissa for saving my (academic) life. I'm planning a girl's night to repay her for being a great friend.

Now I just have to convince my professor to grant me special permission to take my capstone class a little earlier than planned so that I can take it from him, and pray that the classes that Melissa couldn't hold (namely the editing classes, since they require departmental approval) don't fill up before I can sign up for them.

But hey, on the bright side, I've got Creative Writing with Brandon Sanderson. Yes, this Brandon Sanderson. Be jealous.

4 comments:

Savannah said...

I'm jealous.

Savannah said...

Hey, the good news is that he emailed me back, though! He told me to just show up on the first day of class, and he'll add a few people. I am SO showing up that day.

Qait said...

Hahaha, Brandon Sanderson has a funny and strange sense of humor (that's great). I read Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians.
Which, yes, is very juvenile stuff that reminded me of things I wrote when I was 13, but so what. I did enjoy it.

Qait said...

Oh, and good, sneaky idea to have Melissa hold those classes!