So when President Uchtdorf talked about tree rings and reducing speed in the middle of the tempest, there was a little part of my tired soul that cried out "Glory Hallelujah!" to hear that my desire to spend quiet evenings with a book or in introspection is not entirely condemnable. True, we have to still work hard and stick it out, and that takes nerve and, to synthesize a little, character (cue memories of Calvin and Hobbes...)
but it's okay to not be running at warp speed all the time, even if other people are seemingly successful at doing it. Especially since my warp core is running a little low on dilithium crystals at the moment, to use a little Trekkie humor.
What got me most about President Uchtdorf's talk is that he never once advocated a full stop or a change of course. No, he simply recommended reducing speed to the optimal turbulence-defying-and-living-to-tell-about-it velocity. But you still have forward momentum.
Now, my current bit of turbulence is... well, let's just say that it has an end, but that end is about 10 months away. Which means I'm in for a long haul, with not a lot of promise of respite.
Whee?
More like, "Buckle up, ladies and gentlemen, you're in for a very, very bumpy ride," followed by a collective groan and an awful lot of praying to make it out alive.
Don't get me wrong. I don't have any doubts about how my life's going to turn out in the long run. It's going to be great. I'm picking up the pieces to a happy, healthy, extremely fulfilling life. And I'm looking forward to it. In the interim, I'm on a bumpy journey that will include a lot of ups and downs. I have no illusions about that.
4 comments:
Lynnae, God is in control and has ALL power. Elder Scott talked about how Satan can't take away any blessings we earn. He can't take away testimony or character or anything else for that matter. He has NO power in and of himself. We have power, more power than Satan will EVER have. We only lose power, faith, character, and blessings when we are disobedient or sin. I believe that as long as you keep moving forward and recognize how God is blessing you each day, remembering that you have more power than Satan does, the "long" road won't be so bumpy, but will actually be pleasant and joyful.
Does this look familiar??......
"The road of life is bumpy. Let's be honest about that. Tip-toeing and analyzing every move won't spare you the kicks and stumbles.
So suck it up, roll with the punches, take the hits, and come out of life looking like you've really lived."
I thought you might recognize it since I read it every time I come to visit you!! How often do you read it? The more you look like you've really lived the more beautiful you become!
Hey! guess what gorgeous??? psst....look in the mirror!!
I OXOOXOXO YOU!
ps I was thinking of you all during his talk....as well as Elder Hollands.....and Elder Scott's.....(all day) :)
Well, that's funny! Ender and I watched that talk during lunch! :) We've been listening to a talk a day ever since Conference (yay), and I love all of them, but that one is GREAT. Michael really needed that talk, too, with his ultra busy schedule.
I, too, have discovered the need to bury myself in a book lately. Just a few doses a day... :)
Post a Comment