Thank heavens! You know, I'd started to worry whether or not it had survived the purge of college and exes who didn't like reading. But it has. And it's fatter and healthier than it's been in a long time. I read all of City of Glass yesterday afternoon, all of Hunger Games today, and, assuming my social life doesn't pick up tomorrow, all of Catching Fire by this time tomorrow. In fact, I believe I've read roughly a book a day this entire week, not including scripture reading, temple study, and homework. Little Bookworm must have been starving. Poor thing.
I'd forgotten how much I really love reading.
I don't have much time for it these days, what with homework, looming graduation, temple prep, work, social life, and a very pressing need to sleep and eat. So that might explain the binge-reading I've been doing. Good thing binge-reading is significantly better for you than binge-eating.
I want my children to grow up to be the kind of people who think that 'decorating' means building enough bookshelves.
Oh yes, please.
I was standing in front of my bookshelf the other night, lamenting the fact that I was already having to double-stack it to fit all my books on it, and Savannah started painting this picture of my future home with a lovely library (described as very much like the Beauty and the Beast library, though honestly I'd much rather have one of those cozy, small(er) woodsy kind of libraries) and I drifted off into a fanciful daydream about it.
A friend of mine posted on her facebook the other day that she was about to go join her husband to sit and read on the couch. Just the two of them, each with a book, reading for the evening. I sighed wistfully. Yes, wistfully. If I've learned one thing recently, it's that, even though there're some things that we think we can live without for the rest of our lives, we really can't. Me, I need someone who at least gets what I love about books. He doesn't have to be a huge reader, and quite frankly, I actually really like reading aloud, so I don't mind if he doesn't have the patience/attention span to read a book himself. What I really mean is that I need someone who doesn't mind sitting down and discussing something we've read recently, someone who, when I read something to him, actually has something to say about it. (Thanks to Little Brother for helping me sort that whole thing out in my head so that it actually makes sense.)
Otherwise we risk starving the Bookworm, and that could have some disastrous effects.
Like, for instance, half of my soul shriveling up.
Please no.
Now, leaving that distressing thought aside, I'd like to point out that life is better now. Quite a bit better. It's not easy, and it probably never will be, not as long as I'm fighting for the things that mean the world to me, but there's been a marked improvement in my overall mood over the last few days. Thanks to everyone who helped. :)
3 comments:
Yay! :D
My bookworm is starving, too. I'm on such a big waiting list for the Mockingjay...man I want it!
I LOVE that Michael loves to read. He devours books so fast. One night, he started reading Harry Potter 7 again, and I woke up in the middle of the night and realized he was sitting on the floor next to my side of the bed. I smiled. "What page are you on?" He bashfully answered "500 something..."
:) It makes me so happy. I would definitely hope you find a man who loves to read. It's such a good character trait. :D
Nice to see a big fat juicy bookworm. Mind if I fry it up for dinner??
How about the library on "Inkheart" in Aunt what's her names house with the big window seat?? I loved that room, after she softened up a bit and let the little girl read in there!!
Post a Comment